Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) Section of Surgical Sciences (Section) seeks a Director to build and enhance our research programs in Genetics/Genomics relevant to the care of surgical patients. This individual will exhibit the leadership skills, values, and vision to grow and enhance ongoing efforts in this area. The Section is comprised of seven Departments and ten Divisions with more than 240 clinical and research faculty, 118 residents and 19 fellows.
Advances in genetics and genomics including techniques to rapidly and accurately sequence and analyze multiple tissues promise to revolutionize surgical care for a variety of diseases. Applications include molecular profiling of tumors, genetic predictors of surgical outcomes, and early detection of cancer, with the potential to develop personalized approaches to patient care to improve outcomes.
The Director will leverage the existing world-class genetic and genomic resources at Vanderbilt to understand and treat surgical disease. S/he will have an independent research program and be committed to developing the next generation of scientists in this field. Our goal is to benefit patients, develop new knowledge to improve patient care across the country and the world, and create an environment conducive to training the next generation of leaders in the field.
VUMC supports an extensive infrastructure for genetics research. The flagship of this effort is BioVU, Vanderbilt's biorepository of DNA extracted from discarded blood collected during routine clinical testing and linked to de-identified medical records. This resource provides an outstanding platform for genotype-phenotype associations. BioVU currently contains more than 250,000 DNA samples. Our medical record database contains over three million patients.
In addition, Vanderbilt is home to The Center for Precision Medicine (CPM), a multidisciplinary team of basic research investigators, clinicians, data scientists, application developers and support personnel whose objective is to build a research platform that amasses, extracts and curates information from healthcare records and integrates it with genetic information derived from a DNA repository. The CPM develops and applies advanced bioinformatics tools to identify genotype/phenotype associations and genotype/treatment relationships in order to facilitate discovery and signally improve healthcare outcomes through the personalization of diagnostics, treatment and disease prevention.
Vanderbilt's Section of Surgical Sciences combines many of our surgical departments at Vanderbilt into one framework with the commitment to providing the best in patient care. Our specialty teams of surgeons and researchers work closely with one another to discover and reveal the latest medical and surgical innovations, while teaching our residents the many facets of surgery. This collaboration of disciplines allows us to provide an array of conventional and unique surgical services to the entire mid-south region resulting in outstanding patient outcomes.
Faculty Appointment/ Exempt Position
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day: Celebrate 2019
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Additional Key Elements/ Responsibilities:
* Bachelors Degree (or equivalent experience) and 8 years experience required.
**The ideal candidate will have a record of outstanding accomplishment in the field, either an M.D. or Ph.D., and be prepared to lead a multidisciplinary group. Clinical activity is welcomed but not required. S/he should be collaborative, collegial, and comfortable working across diverse environments. This successful individual should run her/his own independent research program and also be dedicated to supporting and mentoring projects and people across the Section. Academic rank, tenure, additional leadership opportunities and resources will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.**