Provide, under direct supervision, support for specified research projects; collect, assess, and communicate data/results. Assist in general laboratory operation and inventory.
Under supervision, run experiments, assays, and record results
Read and follow experimental protocols (May include animal handling, tissue culture, etc.)
Compile and communicate results to supervisor
Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, radioactivity, toxic material, and/or carcinogenics)
Perform calculations involving molarity, % solutions, and serial dilutions
Prepare and operate equipment in experimental procedures
May include centrifuge, pH meter, spectrophotometer, autoclave, scintillation counter,
electrophoresis unit, analytical balance, etc.
Maintain and repair equipment according to manufacturer and university guidelines.
Ensure Laboratory is prepared for experiments
Maintain sterile conditions as required
Special functions as described below.
Function: Provide technical care and management of specialized animal programs such as breeding colonies, monitoring and treating mice. Animal husbandry includes such duties as follows:
Function: Monitor & maintain records of mouse colonies, including those for animal identification, animal census, animal health, specialized water and/or food
-Assure animals are alive and healthy. If signs of illness or death occur notify veterinary personnel.
-Recognize and report common signs of clinical illness and/or irregularities in lab animals, including variations in dietary habits, abnormal stool or urine, unusual behavior, or any other observations relating to the animals' health or well-being.
-Maintain accurate census data by indicating any incoming shipments or any deaths noted on the census sheet, or new pups.
-Record information pertinent to the experiment (e.g., weights, appearance during experimental procedures, adequacy of specialized food or water).
Function: perform basic procedures on mice
Function: perform molecular biology and histology techniques, including:
* Day Shift/Non-Exempt Position
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 9 adult and 9 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
* Truven Health Analytics: among the top 100 hospitals in the US
* Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
* The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
* National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: 12 faculty members elected fellows in 2014
* Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
* Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
* American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
* Bachelors (or equivalent experience) and <1 years experience