Valhalla, New York
Glen Allen, VA
New Windsor, New York
Suffern, New York
Poughkeepsie, New York
New York, New York
South Portland, ME
West Nyack, New York
Jacksonville , Florida
Kingston, New York
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Internal Number: 2102464
Director, Surgical Outcomes for the Section of Surgical Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) Section of Surgical Sciences (Section) seeks a Director to build and enhance our research programs in surgical outcomes. The Director will expand the existing collaborative, multidisciplinary research and training in surgical outcomes. Our overall goals are to improve the quality of care and support clinical innovation. Outcomes Research in surgery has a long history at Vanderbilt stretching back more than 30 years with one of the first formal programs in patient-reported outcomes.
The Section is comprised of seven Departments and ten Divisions with more than 240 clinical and research faculty, 118 residents and 19 fellows. The Section's Center for Outcomes Research in Surgery is a multidisciplinary, collaborative group with a broad range of projects.
At the institutional level, VUMC supports outcomes research through a number of mechanisms including the Vanderbilt Center for Health Services Research (HSR), a critical component of the Vanderbilt Institute for Medicine and Public Health. The Center brings together over 160 scientists and other professionals from across Vanderbilt to solve problems in health care delivery and quality, all within an innovative multidisciplinary research infrastructure. Additional resources include the VA Quality Scholars Program which has a long partnership with our surgical residency. There is robust set of core facilities including database management and analysis, implementation science, and qualitative research. The Section also partners with the Vanderbilt Department of Biostatistics and the Center for Quantitative Sciences. A key role of the new Director will be to leverage these resources to support surgical investigation.
Vanderbilt's Section of Surgical Sciences combines many of our surgical departments at Vanderbilt into one framework with the commitment to providing the best in patient care. Our specialty teams of surgeons and researchers work closely with one another to discover and reveal the latest medical and surgical innovations, while teaching our residents the many facets of surgery. This collaboration of disciplines allows us to provide an array of conventional and unique surgical services to the entire mid-south region resulting in outstanding patient outcomes.
Faculty Appointment/ Exempt Position
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day: Celebrate 2019
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Additional Key Elements/ Responsibilities:
* Bachelors Degree (or equivalent experience) and 8 years experience required.
**The ideal candidate will have a record of outstanding accomplishment in the field, either an M.D. or Ph.D., and be prepared to lead a multidisciplinary group. Clinical activity is welcomed but not required. S/he should be collaborative, collegial, and comfortable working across diverse environments. This successful individual should run her/his own independent research program and also be dedicated to supporting and mentoring projects and people across the Section. Academic rank, tenure, additional leadership opportunities and resources will be commensurate with experience and qualifications..**