Manhasset, New York
New York, New York
Maryland Heights, MO
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Internal Number: 2113354
Division Counsel, Compliance & Regulatory
VUMC is seeking an attorney with a strong regulatory and compliance background, including expertise in federal and state fraud, waste and abuse laws and related regulations, Medicare and Medicaid (TennCare) regulations and conditions of participation, and clinical research compliance. Significant experience counseling an academic medical center or teaching hospital on compliance and regulatory issues is highly desirable. This position will carry the title of Division Counsel and will work directly with VUMC and within the Office of Legal Affairs, reporting to a Managing Counsel and the VUMC General Counsel.
Candidates must possess a minimum of five (5) years' experience providing regulatory risk assessments and assistance with internal and/or external audits to health care providers and supporting and providing legal guidance to compliance teams. Experience managing or responding to fraud, waste and abuse investigations and litigation is also desirable. The successful candidate will be a good negotiator with e xcellent oral and written communication skills and will have the ability to work independently within a dynamic and fast paced environment. Excellent client management skills and the ability to prioritize competing demands will be necessary.
Provide risk assessments and counsel on all aspects of compliance with state and federal health care operations and billing laws and regulations, including federal and state fraud, waste and abuse laws;
Assist compliance team, VUMC business development and operations teams, and VUMC affiliates in identifying and resolving regulatory compliance matters;
Monitor changes in relevant regulatory areas and provide education on those changes to business and operational personnel and compliance and legal affairs teams;
Advise on Medicare and Medicaid (TennCare) contracting and payment issues, enrollment requirements, and conditions of participation;
Provide legal advice and assistance, including policy development and management support, on issues related to clinical trial billing, resident billing and ACGME and LCME issues, and physician compensation;
Assist the Division Counsel for Research in the review of and advice on research enterprise concerns, including effort reporting, grant accounting, clinical trials billing, and the application of the fraud, waste and abuse laws and regulations to sponsor-supplied equipment, medication and treatment supplies;
Provide regulatory support and assistance on contract and transaction matters in which VUMC may engage; and
Consult with and provide assistance to other colleagues in the Office of Legal Affairs in a highly collaborative and team-oriented fashion.
JD degree from an ABA accredited law school.
Must have at least five (5) years of directly applicable experience.
Employment contingent upon State of Tennessee licensure or registration and receipt of In-House Counsel Practice Certificate. The successful candidate must also apply for and become licensed in the State of Tennessee within 12 months of employment or, if earlier, the date required under applicable rules of the Tennessee Supreme Court.
View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.