St. Matthews, KY
Morristown, New Jersey
Valhalla, New York
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Internal Number: 2113729
Over the last decade, hospitals and doctors' offices have embraced Health Information Technology (HIT) and Electronic Health Records (EHRs). EHRs have the potential to improve quality, safety, and efficiency of health care. A byproduct of using EHRs is the production of huge amounts of clinical data, which can be analyzed to optimize the delivery of care and better understand human health.
The Vanderbilt Clinical Informatics Center, a world-leading group of researchers and practitioners studying how to make EHRs work better, with a particular focus on innovative clinical decision support systems, artificial intelligence, and machine learning, has recently initiated a Clinical Informatics Core. The Core will support a range of research (and some operational) activities and work with and across clinical departments at Vanderbilt to optimize clinical care. We are seeking a full time Application Developer to join our team and support these projects.
Candidates for the Application Developer role will have an interest in and aptitude for data science and data analytics, especially in health care. They will be working with Epic (VUMC's EHR) databases and reporting tools, especially Clarity, to support several research and operational projects with a diverse range of clinical impacts. Potential projects include querying Clarity to pull specific subsets of data for various research and operational projects, developing or improving clinical decision support tools to detect adverse events in the VUMC patient population, developing dashboards to understand trends and criteria of specific subsets of patients that see VUMC providers, and using data to understand and improve several other EHR-related functionalities. Competitive candidates will have extensive SQL experience, and skill in programming languages such as Python or R is beneficial.
Through the VUMC Department of Biomedical Informatics (DBMI) and the Vanderbilt Clinical Informatics Center (VCLIC), the Application Developer will have numerous opportunities for training and career development. For instance, as part of this role, the Application Developer will be expected to complete Clarity database training through Epic (unless the candidate already has obtained the requisite training), the most widely-used EHR system in the United States. DBMI and VCLIC also hold regular seminars and journal clubs and offer trainings on research skills and data management. Opportunities to observe and shadow healthcare providers and Health IT professionals are also available.
In this role, candidates will learn from and be mentored by world-renowned academic leaders in clinical informatics. They will have the ability to make a significant impact on patient care while mastering skills necessary to manage and manipulate large, complex data sets and build related interventions.
The mission of the Vanderbilt Department of Biomedical informatics has complementary themes that include education, research, service, and a commitment to our colleagues in our own institution and around the world. The Educational Mission is to educate undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate trainees in the theory and practice of biomedical informatics. The Research and Service Mission is to develop and evaluate innovative technologies for the storage, retrieval, dissemination, and application of biomedical knowledge, in order to support clinical practice, biomedical research, life-long learning, and administration and as a result, to contribute to the professional body of knowledge in the field of biomedical informatics. The Professional and Ethical Mission is to maintain cooperation and collegiality with all those who learn and work with us locally, nationally, and internationally; and, to develop and disseminate ethical and professional standards for the conduct of biomedical informatics research and for the use and evaluation of health care informatics applications.
Click here to view how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6 th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 2 year experience