Oak Park, Illinois
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Type: Full Time
Preferred Education: 4 Year Degree
Internal Number: 2022-4299
The Sr Intraoperative Neuromonitoring Technologist (surgical neurophysiologist) performs all activities necessary for monitoring of complex intraoperative neurophysiological functions pertinent to the patient's surgery. Under indirect supervision of the Director performs evoked potentials, mapping when the nervous system is at risk for injury. Train and supervises staff technologists and entry-level staff under the direction of the program director. Exemplifies the Rush mission, vision, and ICARE values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
* Provide real-time in-room neuromonitoring for Neurosurgical, Orthopedic, Interventional Radiology, Cardiothoracic, Vascular, and ENT services and any other service that may request neuromonitoring
* Identify appropriate modalities, protocols, and supplies to provide monitoring based on the policy and procedure manual and discussion with the program director, surgeon, and anesthesiologists.
* Run all technical aspects of all EP modalities, EEG, EMG, and/or mapping procedures.
* Lead a supportive role in the program such as scheduling, data management, supply stocking, and protocol management.
* Provide educational lectures as part of the monthly staff educational sessions.
* Perform experiments under the direction of the program director and/or specific protocols designed by the program director or other members of the surgical team.
* Assist in updating the policy and procedures to meet new guidelines and evidence
* Assist team out when not covering a case during normal working hours
* Data management
* Perform other service-related duties as assigned
* Assist in supervising trainees and junior staff with the program director
* Act as educators to students
* Pass qualification examination for complex neuromonitoring procedures
* Be an integral component of the IONM team
Required Job Qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree in the biological sciences or related field
* R.EEG, R.EP certification is an acceptable alternative to a bachelor's degree
* 5 years of IONM experience and has had CNIM certification for 5 years
* Take call as part of the services call schedule
* Knowledge of IONM modalities and studies
* Knowledge of basic anatomy as it relates to IONM studies
* Knowledge of basic neurophysiology as it relates to IONM studies
* Ability to accurately evaluate clinical situation and modify procedures appropriately
* Must be competent in monitoring changes in central and/or peripheral nervous responses and brain functioning during surgical procedures and responding appropriately.
* Must be able to distinguish artefactual changes from clinically pertinent events.
* Knowledge of operating room standard protocols for sterility and communication
* Ability to work in a team environment and across multiple medical disciplines
* Ability to show good judgment and make your knowledge base known
* Ability to appropriately interpret hospital, department, and service policies and procedures and apply them
* Ability to learn new procedures and policies as they are implemented and, additionally, be part of defining these new policies and procedures
* Good verbal and written communication skills, good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment, across multiple medical disciplines
* Ability to show good judgment and to appropriately interpret and apply medical center, department and service policies and procedures.
* Ability and willingness to learn new procedures and policies as they are implemented.
* Must demonstrate good, competent skills and sound judgement in professional practice while caring for the child, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient specific to the clinical requirements.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
* Bend, kneel and stretch in order to place electrodes and secure IONM equipment.
Disclaimer: The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.